Share and Enjoy
Here’s a step by step guide to “how do i get a website” and in this tutorial I have 4 videos to teach you what to do. First, get a good web hosting service that gives you a free website domain name, and has a one-click WorsPress install.
Ok, so you wanna get a website up? Great idea! You’re pretty smart! This “Epic Post” is dedicated to getting you there, from point A to point D. Why only to point D? Because getting your website up and running is just the beginning, mate! I don’t normally say “mate” but it sounded good when I wrote it… Anyways, back to making your website.
If you’ve never made a website before or never really “owned” a website before, then this is the right place for you! And if you’ve dabbled in website creation in the past but want to get more “into it”, then this post is also for you. There are many reasons why having a website up is beneficial, and I’ll tell you exactly why.
Benefits Of Owning A Website
When I first created www.markammay.com, I never thought I’d be writing about the web and answering the big question, “How do you get a website?”. It first started as a portfolio website where I showcased my web design and UI (User Interface) skills. Fast forward to years later, I launched this blog and it was very easy for me to show up in the search engines because well… my website has been up for years already!
My point is, if you have an idea for a website, buy it now and build it. What’s the wait? Money? Not sure if your idea is good? Because I guarantee you that if you wait too long, someone else is going to get a head start. Buying a domain name these days are cheap ($1 for the first year), and so is web hosting ($3.95 a month or less).
- Reaching out to people around the globe, 24/7
- Building your brand online
- Creating an archive or digital trail of your self, brand or company
- Helping other people find you
- Leveraging the web to spread the word
- Connecting with people whom you’d never even think of
- Keeping up with your competitors
- Sharing content with people who would benefit from your services or products
- Gaining the ability to make money even while you sleep
- And the list goes on…
- Increased traffic when I started this blog (so far, most traffic come from SEO, Facebook and Direct traffic).
- Higher volume of recruiters and potential employers (usually coming from my LinkedIn)
- I was approached by a T.V. Show producer to air a portion of an amateur YouTube video I helped create and edit (aired on B.E.T.)
- Ability to properly brand who I am, as well as position myself as an expert in my field
- Freedom to show my creativity and personality
- Help people like you on getting their online presence up
- Teach others to build a brand and not just a website
- Reach out to more people then I can imagine
- Gain more insight on what I love most
- Gain a following and continue to give out useful content
The Step-By-Step Website Creation Guide
Now before we dive directly into this and answer the question, “How can I get a website?”, I first want to stress that in order for you to be successful with your website and online presence, you’re going to need to…
… NOT JUST BUILD A WEBSITE, BUT BUILD A BRAND …
And what I mean by that is, it’s NOT enough to just make a website. You must cultivate it and take care of it. After this tutorial, I encourage you to explore the rest of my blog and ask questions about, well anything! Also, I highly suggest you subscribe to my podcast Websites Made Easy with Mark Ammay, and you can find all the information in that link.
Here’s all the ways to get my content:
- My Blog: You’re here already! Yay!
- Subscribe to my E-mail list (on the right side of my website): Sign up now, and you’ll be one of the first to receive a copy of my upcoming E-Book on Promoting your website through Online Marketing.
- Websites Made Easy Podcast: Listen to “Big Picture” topics about your website
- Social Networking: Find me on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
Overview Of Starting A Website
In general, here’s how to get your own website and own it. You first need to think of a good domain name and choose a good web hosting company to host your files. Lets say you want the domain name, www.caloriemuncher.com – so you would type that in your browser’s URL box and see if someone has already chosen that name. If the website is not found, you could do an official search to see if it’s taken already, by going to http://whois.net/ (Here you would enter the domain name and hit enter to see if it’s already taken).
Now once you’ve figured out if your domain name isn’t taken, you should purchase a web hosting plan. Now the reason I didn’t tell you to buy your domain name first, was because most Web Hosting Services give you a FREE domain name registration with the purchase of one of their plans. I know at least that IX Webhosting does this!
Purchase a web hosting plan and then register your domain name with them for FREE. Once you have that, you will want to install WordPress so that you can easily manage and edit your website on-the-go, from any computer. [ Related Article: What is WordPress – Full Explanation? ] This also allows you to create a website without having to code from scratch, or hire someone to do that for you.
But once you have WordPress up, you’ll still want to style your website, by using a theme. You can purchase a premium theme from themeforest.net or you get a FREE one to start off with. I suggest purchasing a premium one, so that you have full control and more options for your website. The price ranges from $15 – $55 or so, but definitely worth every penny. By the way, any theme you choose ha the ability to be customized.
Once you have your website customized and styled as you imaged it, it’s time to promote and launch your website. You will need to leverage online marketing and social media to get the word out, as well as good old fashion ways such as printed promotional materials (depending on your business plan). The promotion and marketing of your website is the most crucial aspect, and this is were most people fail. If you sign up for my Newsletter, I’ll give you a FREE copy of my upcoming E-Book on how to get your online website and business to the next level!
3 Things To Have Ready Before Starting
Before starting the video tutorial series on getting your website up and running, you’ll need to have the following ready, in order to speed up the process.
- Have a domain name in mind that isn’t yet available!
- What’s your budget? I recommend purchasing your web hosting at a minimum of two years! And keep it on auto-renew. The worst thing you want is all of a sudden your site goes down for no payment! Just so you know, expect to pay at least $94 or so, for a two-year plan. This is normal, and that comes to $3.95 a month (skip that Latte from Starbucks).
- Have a website design in mind! My suggestion is to search “WordPress” themes from themeforest.net so you know which theme you want to have (all very customizable). Or technically, you can wait to get your WordPress site installed, and you can browse the FREE themes for practice.
Quick Website FAQ’s
Video 1: Purchasing Web Hosting with FREE Domain Name
In this video I walk you through the whole process if choosing and purchasing a web hosting plan, and why you are choosing it. I also show you how to get a FREE domain name registered with your web hosting plan, through IX Webhosting.
- IX Webhosting: http://www.markammay.com/ixwebhosting
Video 2: Installing WordPress and Navigating IX Webhosting
Video 3: Free WordPress Theme
Video 4: Coming Soon!
Share and Enjoy